Monday, January 31, 2011

Consequence Jar

Hello Blog world!!! I've missed you! My computer got sick but it's much better now. 
I Wanted to share this Great idea with all of you. My wonderful friend Christian Thought of this one all on her own or that's what she told me. She was having some trouble making a point with her oldest daughter who was 10 at the time. You know that age, tween's!!!

You can't treat them like toddlers ( even though they are acting like one ! ) and you can't treat them like a teen yet either.
So she came up with the consequence Jar. She put all kinds of different consequence's in a plastic jar, Anything from cleaning the bathroom, wash the car, playing with your little sister outside for 30 min. without complaining!

My favorite one is " Go out side and dig a 2ft by 1ft hole in the ground and then fill it back up again." This might seem pointless and a little curl, But there is a good point and lesson. The point is ... It is pointless! Just like the tantrum they are throwing! 

It shows your child that there is no point to wasting time getting in trouble so don't do it again. 
I guarantee they wont do it again. hahaha!


Remember to have age appropriate consequences in each child's jar. This is a great alternative to timeout as they get older.

 Now before some of you start sending me hate mail, hahaha!
Let me just say I am NOT a child psychologist. I'm just going to try this out on my kids and thought it might help some of you. 
It's all about creativity!  

Let me know if any of you try this. 

   





Photobucket




1 comment:

Kim said...

Sarah, I think this is a great idea. I had a reward jar for a while when my boys were younger.